Vertical gardens, also known as green walls, are one of the latest trends in sustainable architecture that we find in big cities. One of the main features of this type of construction, invented by French botanist Patrick Blanc, is that plants grow parallel to the ground and held by independent structures to the wall, which was subsequently hooked to it.
Here we show the 7 most famous vertical gardens in the world, here we come!:
- Musée du Quai Branly (París): Located next to the famous Eiffel Tower, this vertical garden, designed by Blanc, is famous around the world and is one of the great attractions of the French capital. It consists of 15,000 plants of over 150 species. In France also found the Max Juvenal Bridge (Aix-en-Provence), with a green wall of 605 m2, 15 meters high and more than 20,000 plants. In the Cité de L’Espace(Toulouse), visitors can also enjoy a vertical garden consisting of over 200 plants from around the globe. Wonderful to visit, no doubt.
- Caixa Fórum (Madrid):Opened in 2008, this vertical garden has become one of the green lungs of the city. With 24 meters high, this wall contains more than 15,000 plants of 205 different species. Without moving from Madrid, also we found the Crystal Tower, the highest office building of Spain also shines an impressive green wall it ranges from 210 to 250 elevation of the building.
- Edmonton International Airport (Canada):Alberta airport passengers will be surprised by a nice vertical garden of 132 m2with more than 8,000 plants, which generate a cooler climate and clean the atmosphere of space. In Canada also you can visit the University of Ottawa, which hides, on the facade of Social Sciences, a green wall filled with tropical plants.
- Il Fiordaliso shopping center (Rozzano, Milan):With a total of 1262 m2, this vertical garden is the largest in Europe. Located on the facade of a shopping center near Milan, it consists of more than 44,000 plants of 200 different species.
- University of the Cloister of Sor Juana (Mexico):In 2012 it opened one of the most important vertical gardens throughout Latin America. More than 250 spices of Mexico native plants covering its 400 m2.
- Siam Paragon (Bangkok):One of the first works of Patrick Blanc and is located inside the famous shopping center of the Thai capital.
- Lafayette galleries (Berlin):Although smaller, equally famous is this vertical garden, which shares the spotlight with advertising galleries letters.
- Photographs: Shopping center Il Fiordaliso Medioambiente.org, Edmonton International Airport aeropuertos.net, Siam Paragon and Galleries Lafayette verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.